Home
ABOUT
BLOG
WARDROBE
CONTACT

October Coat Challenge

October Winter Coat Challenge

 

I decided to set myself a challenge in October to sew myself3 new coats. All using different patterns, fabrics and techniques that I hadn’t yet used.

During this period I made many mistakes! And discovered that the un-picker ( seam ripper ) is my absolute best friend!! I also learnt a huge amount of respect for sewing with such large garments, and thick fabrics, something my sewing machine was at times not so keen on!

 

My First Coat was the Fibremoods issue 11 Rya Shacket! I created this using a navy blue cord but to cover up the back side of the fabric which I find not so attractive, I lined it. This was not included in the pattern so made it up as I went along!

Fibremoods Rya Coat ( Shacket )
Navy Blue Cord for the main
Printed Viscose for the Lining
Popper snaps for the closures

For my second coat I used the Oslo Coat pattern from Tessuti fabrics. I was desperate for a cuddly teddy coat and the pattern seemed to be perfect for such a make. I also lined this with a cool viscose print. Its crazy warm but I’m still finding lumps of fluff all over my sewing room! Teddy fabric is not to be sewn by the faint hearted, its messy and extremely thick and heavy to sew! Loved the result though so totally worth it.

Oslo Coat Pattern from Tessuti Fabrics
Army Green teddy
lined with a printed vsicose

 

My third coat was my pièce de résistance, I used the Romana Coat pattern from by hand London. It’s a tailored fitted lined coat, used a tanned coloured coating viscose / polyester fabric and lined it with a printed viscose.

 This was the biggest sewing project/ challenge I had set my self. I learned many new techniques, used several swear words to get me through this one!

For absolute precision especially when top stitching I slowed down from my usual speed, I discovered that to get a good result I was going have to love this jacket with all my heart even through at times it got the best of me. Its thick layers get trapped in the machine, and some of the instructions i was reading 10 times over to understand! But I cracked it!! And am so delighted with the end result. Below are some of the stages I went through to get the final look…

Romana Coat pattern from By Hand London
Tanned Coating fabric
Lined with Printed Viscose
Grading all seams to reduce bulk
Top stitching all seams, It looks so much more professional in my opinion
Pocket added and Top stitched front panels
Ready to add the sleeves and the Collar, taking a tea break.. feeling far too nervous!
Back panel top stitching and darts looking lovely and neat, so far so good!
Sleeves ready to be attached... nerves are now getting the better of me, more tea required!
The set in sleeve didnt work as hoped so I have added a small pleat to the top of the sleeve head, I think it adds a little more interest and now fits!!
Attaching the lining to the collar, along the front facing and the sleeves
Hand stitching the hem, before being turned around to the right side.
I decided to add a belt, now poking it through to create neat sharp corners with a chop stick!!!
Run out of thread!!! I could cry!!!
All top stitching added to the collar, hem and back split finished. added my lovely Katie Louise label......... FINISHED !!!!!
Off for a very large glass of wine to celebrate!

TAGS